MMC/MtFuji: Clarification of media eject request event, external request events.

keiji_katata at post.pioneer.co.jp keiji_katata at post.pioneer.co.jp
Fri May 25 01:26:42 PDT 2007

* keiji_katata at post.pioneer.co.jp
*
Hi David,
About EjectRequest, currently we have two types of implementation.
Type 1. When Persistent=1 and Prevent=1, drive reports EjectRequest on Media
Class Event.
Type 2. When Prevent=1, drive reports EjectRequest on Media Class Event.
EjectRequest of Media Class Event was proposed by Microsoft to create DVD
tray
lock system of OS that overrides the tray lock operation of application. So
"Persistent=1 and Prevent=1" and "Persistent=0 and Prevent=1" are
independent.
So original intention of proponent was Type 1. By the EjectRequest, Win98/ME
handle the CD/DVD disc like a removal device (ex. PCI card, USB drive).
Type 2 is not mutter because until explorer unload the disc, the disc shall
not
be ejected.
About External Event, currently we have no product that uses it.
When CD drive had Analog audio output and PC used the output, CD drive had
Audio
playback buttons on the front panel. If Play button is continuously pressed,
CD
drive may play faster speed than 1x. If Play button is released, CD drive
play
normally.
When PC uses Digital Audio IF (ATAPI IO) the CD control software (it was
bundled
typically) performed same things using Front panel button of CD drive. Then
button down, up message were necessary.
Now no one use (have) such system, so you may not see such product that uses
External Event.
Best regards,
Keiji Katata
PIONEER CORP.
David Burg <daviburg at windows.microsoft.com>@avc-pioneer.com on 2007/05/17
03:41:46
mtfuji5 at avc-pioneer.com$B$KJV?.$7$F$/$@$5$$(B
$BAw?.<T(B:	  owner-mtfuji5 at avc-pioneer.com
$B08 at h(B: T10 Reflector <t10 at t10.org>, <mtfuji5 at avc-pioneer.com>
cc:
bcc:
$B7oL>(B: MMC/MtFuji: Clarification of media eject request event, external
request
events.
Hello,
I would like to discussion two clarifications of the events in MMC/MtFuji
specifications. The following issues were found will prototyping logo test
cases
for device compliance validation.
1)	The current description of the media eject request event is:
$B!H(BThe Drive has received a request from the user (usually through a
mechanical switch on the Drive) to eject the specified slot or media.$B!I(B
I suspect that additionally this event is generated only if the tray is
locked.
That is, if the tray is not locked and the user press the eject button, the
tray
will be open but no media eject event will be generated by the device.
Correct?
If so, the description should be clarified to explicitly state that the event
is
generated only if the tray is locked with the prevent/allow medium removal.
2)	External request events drive key down and drive key up have
currently
the following description:
$B!H(BA front, back, or remote button has been depressed / released$B!I(B
This sounds like two external request events will be generate each time the
user
press and release the front eject/load button of the device. However in
experimentation, no such event was generated by devices we exercised. Is it
correct that no  external request event is generated for the load/eject
button
of the device? If so, we should clarify the description of the external
request
events.
Or maybe this is related to the playback control button from legacy CD-audio
devices? Then  we should make the events legacy as well.
Best regards,
David Burg.
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org