MMC/Mt Fuji: Mandatory features for all peripheral devices type 5, and mark time out feature obsolete

Tim Jones tjmac at tolisgroup.com
Mon Jun 18 10:24:01 PDT 2007

* Tim Jones <tjmac at tolisgroup.com>
*
Hi Katata-San,
Thank you for your follow-up.
You are correct in that devices get a UUID when they are attached to
a Firewire or USB interface, but there are other devices that can be
attached and removed on these interfaces while the system is running
that can actually cause the UUID to change on existing devices.
Granted, this may be something that can be addressed in the operating
system to prevent devices from attaining new UUID's because of a
change in the device change, but without some unique identifier
embedded within the devices that remain attached, how does the OS
know which device to retain which UUID for?
As for firmware and flash, we're not requesting that devices have re-
flash capability, only that new devices have a serial number as part
of the code that is burned at manufacturing.  This number would be
assigned as part of the actual original firmware creation.
But, I can understand how a US$13 device would be difficult to
justify any additional expense.  It's just that as a software vendor,
having devices that change their device path while they are running
makes it very difficult for us to utilize the devices as more than a
playback mechanism for movies or music.
Tim

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org