Persistent Reservation Proposal - Group Reservations

Kevin D Butt kdbutt at us.ibm.com
Mon Dec 17 12:53:57 PST 2007

Formatted message: <A HREF="r0712172_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</A>

Fred,
This is being proposed for SPC.
There are multiple types of reservations.  In an environment where one
node of a cluster must join later, one of the other types can be used.
Either that or have an existing node in your cluster add the new node. The
whole intent of this Group reservation is to lock out everybody that is
not explicitly specified during the reserve.  We have made provisions for
adding members once the reservation exists, but only one of the
reservation holders can add another entity.  The new entity cannot add
itself.  This is the whole point of reservations (i.e., lock out others
|from doing stuff while I think I have exclusive rights).
To put it in other word's, to allow somebody to join the reservation of
their own accord without permission is EXACTLY what I am trying to protect
against.
Thanks,
Kevin D. Butt
MS 6TYA, 9000 S. Rita Rd., Tucson, AZ 85744
Tel: 520-799-2869 / 520-799-5280
Fax: 520-799-2723 (T/L:321)
Email address: kdbutt at us.ibm.com
http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/storage/
"Knight, Frederick" <Frederick.Knight at netapp.com>
12/17/2007 01:38 PM
Kevin D Butt/Tucson/IBM at IBMUS
cc
Subject
RE: Persistent Reservation Proposal - Group Reservations
Sorry, you can't require everyone to register before the reserve.
That's like saying my whole cluster can't boot because 1 node is down. You
need
to have a way for a "down" initiator to join the fun after the fact.
I helped write a host cluster product that used a shared tape (failover
model).  The
backup application would write to the tape.  If a system failure ever
happened, the
backup application would failover to a different host.	It would skip
backwards on
the tape for a few records, recognize where it left off, and then resume
operation.
BUT, for some protection, we used reservations to make sure only 1
initiator at a
time could access the tape.  The interesting point however, is that we
were in the
process of upgrading from old SCSI-2 RESERVE to using PR.  Because, we
also
have multiple HBAs in the host, and we wanted to be able to use more than
1 of
those HBAs (so we needed multiple reservations - aka PR).  Having this
idea
(group reservations) would have been a real nice addition.
As for the RA/AR differences.  It seemed to be timing.	Registrants Only
was fairly
early on (as I remember), and so implemented by several O/S vendors. Later
on,
some issues were found (which got complicated spec-ees added to address),
but also,
the All Registrants was added (which didn't have those issues).  But,
since there were
implementations, it couldn't be removed like the other old PR types that
no one ever
used.  Anyway, I agree, they offer basically the same capabilities, but RO
is already
out there, and AR is probably what new implementers are using (it's easier
to understand
and implement from the host side).  Most of the differences are already
documented,
so there wouldn't be that much extra for you to write to have both types
(which I think
would be better than bit somewhere - do it the same way all the others are
done).	But,
you could also just do the AR version, and let someone else add the RO
version if they
want it.
Are you proposing this for tape only? or SPC in general?  I assume SPC in
general.
    Fred Knight