SMC-3 Prevent Allow (06-442r2)

Kevin D Butt kdbutt at us.ibm.com
Wed Apr 11 14:12:47 PDT 2007

Attachment #1: <A HREF="r0704110_nameless-5232-2-1.html">nameless-5232-2-1.html</A>

During the SMC-3 teleconference this morning while discussing 06-442 that
moves Prevent Allow Media Removal into SMC-3, I raised a concern about the
proposed change from
<< While a prevention of medium removal condition is in effect the media
changer logical unit shall inhibit mechanisms that normally allow removal
of the medium by an operator.>>
to:
<<
While a prevention of medium removal condition is in effect the media
changer logical unit shall do at least one of the following:
a) prevent moves with the import/export element as destination element
address when the move prevented to import/export element (MVPRV) bit set
is set to one in the Extended device capabilities mode page (see 7.3.3);
b) secure the media changer door(s) when the lock door (LCKD) bit is set
to one in the Extended device capabilities mode page; or
c) secure the media changer import/export element(s) when the lock
import/export element (LCKIE) bit
is set to one in the Extended device capabilities mode page.

I was asked to send an email clarifying that concern since we ran out of
time in the meeting.
The concern is that the original text was interpreted by some to apply to
"who" made the removal request.  Was the request from an operator at a
panel of some kind or was the request from an application?  There are two
camps in the current implementations.
1) One camp interpreted that the prevent/allow applied solely to an
operator panel type of request.
2) A different camp interpreted that the prevent/allow applied to any
request regardless of whether it was as a result of an operator panel or
an application (i.e. SCSI command).
The proposed text - while orthogonal to the "who" question, has the effect
of requiring the "who" to be all.  Both an operator and an application
request.  The text that we settle on needs to not break either of these
camps.
Thanks,
Kevin D. Butt
MS 6TYA, 9000 S. Rita Rd., Tucson, AZ 85744
Tel: 520-799-2869 / 520-799-5280
Fax: 520-799-2723 (T/L:321)
Email address: kdbutt at us.ibm.com