Comments on 06-369r5: Security Association Model for SPC-4

Kevin D Butt kdbutt at us.ibm.com
Mon Oct 16 11:33:01 PDT 2006

Formatted message: <A HREF="r0610166_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</A>

Ralph and all,
To reiterate the position of IBM Tape related to 06-369r5: Security
Association Model for SPC-4, we see the need for the items in this
proposal but we object to the proposals acceptance until there is a
"Security protocol that creates SAs".  The proposal as it stands today,
has a table for these Security protocols that create an SA, but there is
only a TBD.  We fear that passing this proposal without a Security
protocol defined that creates an SA, will open the door for items that
rely on SAs to be added to the standard prior to any method to create an
SA.  We believe that this would work against the attempts to standardize
methods of creating an SA, because vendors will begin creating SAs with
vendor-specific methods in order to get the items that rely on an SA.
Thanks,
Kevin D. Butt
MS 6TYA, 9000 S. Rita Rd., Tucson, AZ 85744
Tel: 520-799-2869 / 520-799-5280
Fax: 520-799-2723 (T/L:321)
Email address: kdbutt at us.ibm.com