BD Dual Layer

Peter Van Hove Peter at Smart-Projects.net
Tue Oct 10 13:34:56 PDT 2006

* "Peter Van Hove" <Peter at Smart-Projects.net>
*
Dear David,
Thank you for getting back to me on this.
>> I think you are looking for the Read Disc Structure, Media Type 0001b
(BD) for Format Code 00h aka Disc Information (DI).
Right ... the PIC isn't it ?
I don't see the layer information in there.
Or is it: "Number of DI units in each DI block/ Number of the Layers to
which this DI unit applies"
But I'm not sure how to interpret that ?
>> BD uses a system of
class and version to identify the discs.
I see, like what is returned in the two BD (read and write) "features".
But in that case they are the drive's capabilities, not the disc
characteristscs.
Indeed, I have wondered about that because it would also let me identify if
the drive is a Dual Layer capable writer or not.
I can't help but feel that such information:
- amount of layers on the disc,
- drive capability to write DL or not,
- mounted disc is DL or not
should be easily available to a host (software application) ?
And that MMC (Mnt Fuji) should make that information available ?
Group, thanks for any information that can be shared !
I mean hey, if IsoBuster mounts your discs right using your hardware, then
you have an excellent tool as a developer :)
Peter