SAS2 Speed Negotiation 06-515 switching between patterns

Day, Brian Brian.Day at lsi.com
Tue Nov 21 11:21:56 PST 2006

* "Day, Brian" <Brian.Day at lsi.com>
*
So as I interpret this (which is the point of my question), it would be
okay to truncate the both the TRAIN pattern and TRAIN_DONE when
switching to a new pattern due to the state machine changing at
arbitrary points in time.
For example, if SP state is currently in SP29:SAS_Train state and
transmitting the TRAIN pattern, when the conditions to transition to
SP30:SAS_TrainingDone occur at an arbitrary point in time, the SP
transmitter would then switch to sending TRAIN_DONE patterns.
In other words, there may be less than 58 dwords of random scrambled
data between the TRAIN and TRAIN_DONE primitive sequences.
Actually, there might not be anything preventing the TRAIN primitive
itself from being less than 6 dwords when making this transition... I'm
not sure on this one to be honest.
Same reasoning applies when going from the TrainingDone to PHY_Ready
state.
Is there objection to this type of allowed behavior?  Would that
behavior be okay for the receiver that is still training without messing
up the training algorithm?
I feel this should be allowed behavior from a digital state machine
design standpoint, as it keeps it simple... the actual implementation of
the SP state machine does need to know about the specific dword "state"
of the training pattern.
Brian Day
LSI Logic