SSC-3: Filemarks/Setmarks and Encryption

Kevin D Butt kdbutt at us.ibm.com
Mon Nov 13 15:26:31 PST 2006

Formatted message: <A HREF="r0611130_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</A>

Tapeheads,
I believe that we need to better clarify that Filemarks are "encryption
neutral".  SSC-3r3b does state in 4.20.2 "Filemarks shall not be
encrypted" but that is the only statement about filemarks and encryption.
Additionally there is no statement about setmarks and encryption.
I think we should add the following:
1) In 4.20.2 where it says "Filemarks shall not be encrypted" should be
changed to "Filemarks and Setmarks shall not be encrypted and are
considered encryption neutral".
2) In section 4.2.20.3 Reading encrypted data on the medium, the following
paragraph:
Filemarks and Setmarks are considered encryption neutral.  Reading into a
Filemark or setmark shall not cause a change of encryption state and shall
not cause an encryption additional sense code to be returned.
Comments?
Thanks,
Kevin D. Butt
MS 6TYA, 9000 S. Rita Rd., Tucson, AZ 85744
Tel: 520-799-2869 / 520-799-5280
Fax: 520-799-2723 (T/L:321)
Email address: kdbutt at us.ibm.com