[T11.3] FCP-4: Continuously Increasing SEQ_CNT

Claudio DeSanti cds at cisco.com
Fri Nov 3 13:38:08 PST 2006

Craig, Bob, Dave,
there are functions defined in FCP-4, such as data overlay or certain
bi-directional commands, that are simply not implementable in Class 3
without the use of CISC. I bet that the devices you are referring to do
not implement these functions. I recommend to identify these functions
in FCP-4 and either:
a) obsolete them; or
b) clearly state that use of CISC is required to implement them in Class 3.
In addition, the usage of CISC greatly simplifies error recovery in
Class 3. We should encourage this behavior moving forward. I recommend
that FCP-4 mandate the support of CISC to FCP-4 compliant devices, but
not its use. CISC should be mandatory to support and optional to use in
FCP-4. In this way we set a good path for the future, while allowing
complete interoperability with FCP-3 and older devices that do not
support CISC. To ease this interoperability FCP-4 may also recommend to
not use CISC by default. But mandating its support in FCP-4 devices, we
achieve that when connecting FCP-4 only devices CISC may be turned on
and used, with all its advantages.
Thanks,
Claudio.