SPC-4: PR Annex B question

Rich Ramos t10 at RichRamos.com
Sat May 13 08:57:58 PDT 2006

* Rich Ramos <t10 at RichRamos.com>
*
Hi Dan,
I'm not sure I follow the explanation.	I understand that
RESERVE/RELEASE has been obsolesced in SPC-3.  In fact the Annex is
there to help people with a minimum implementation of PR IN/OUT to
give equivalent functionality of the old RESERVE/RELEASE.  And the
old RESERVE/RELEASE had no mechanism for *reporting* reservations
(well other than returning an error ;), which is what PR IN gives
you.  That is why I believe that there should be a "not" in there
since no such equivalent functionality in RESERVE/RELEASE.
-Rich
--- Original ---
From: Dan Meyer <dmeyer at siliconstor.com>
To: Rich Ramos <t10 at RichRamos.com>, t10 at t10.org
Date: 5/13/06 12:24 AM -0700
Subject: RE: SPC-4: PR Annex B question
* "Dan Meyer" <dmeyer at siliconstor.com>
*
Rich,
	No, the wording is correct.  If you look at SPC-3 in the first
section (Scope) you will see that RESERVE/RELEASE was made obsolete
by that version.  SPC-2 had both types of the command.	That said, I
suspect that people are still making devices and writing software
today that support the original RESERVE/RELEASE.
Dan Meyer