Encryption Algorithm Identifier

Kevin D Butt kdbutt at us.ibm.com
Fri May 12 15:18:40 PDT 2006

Formatted message: <A HREF="r0605122_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</A>

All,
For Encryption the suggestion has been made that it might be better to use
the algorithm identifier from PKCS than the Security identifier that we
just voted on in CAP.  It is a variable length self describing format from
the Public Key Cryptography Standards (PKCS).
ASN.1 AlgorithmIdentifier from PKCS  (OID's)
ASN.1 - Abstract Syntax Notation One
OID - Object Identifier
Any thoughts?  If it does make better sense a change would have to be made
very rapidly so we don't get implementations and can remove what we
already put in.
Thanks,
Kevin D. Butt
MS 6TYA, 9000 S. Rita Rd., Tucson, AZ 85744
Tel: 520-799-2869 / 520-799-5280
Fax: 520-799-2723 (T/L:321)
Email address: kdbutt at us.ibm.com