SSC-3: Secure Data Erase

Kevin D Butt kdbutt at us.ibm.com
Tue May 2 18:10:35 PDT 2006

Formatted message: <A HREF="r0605024_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</A>

All,
I have updated the Secure Data Erase proposal.	It can be found at:
within 30 minutes.
Paul,
Thank you for your quick review.  I have been working on your questions
and have generated another revision of the proposal.
I really appreciate your time and efforts.  I ended up splitting out an
overloaded function from the previous proposal and I think that cleaned up
a lot of your issues.  For some others I am less sure, you will have to
see how well this update addresses them.
Thanks,
Kevin D. Butt
MS 6TYA, 9000 S. Rita Rd., Tucson, AZ 85744
Tel: 520-799-2869 / 520-799-5280
Fax: 520-799-2723 (T/L:321)
Email address: kdbutt at us.ibm.com
http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/storage/
"Paul Entzel" <Paul.Entzel at Quantum.com>
04/25/2006 07:43 AM
Kevin D Butt/Tucson/IBM at IBMUS, "Erich Oetting"
<erich_oetting at stortek.com>, "Greg Wheeless" <greg.wheeless at veritas.com>,
"BANTHER,MICHAEL \(HP-UnitedKingdom,ex2\)" <michael.banther at hp.com>, "Paul
Suhler" <Paul.Suhler at Quantum.com>, "Peterson, David"
<David.Peterson at McData.com>, <roger.cummings at symantec.com>
cc
<t10 at t10.org>
Subject
RE: SSC-3: Secure Data Erase
Kevin,
I took a couple of minutes to review the document and added a couple of
notes.	I concentrated mainly on the ERASE(6) command since my devices
only support this one.	I think my main area of concern is how these new
bits will be handled by devices that do not check reserved fields in CDBs
and also do not support these new bits.  Normally, I would not be all that
concerned with this, except for the location you chose for the bits.  You
placed the bits in the most significant 2 bits of byte 1, a location
traditionally reserved since it used to hold the LUN field way back in
SCSI-2 days.  In many of our devices, we zero out these bits to avoid
problems with systems that put the LUN into the CDB.  That means these
devices will not see the new bits and treat the ERASE command as if they
were not set.  We can certainly change this behavior in future devices,
but how is the application client to know if the bits are supported,
checked, or ignored?
Paul Entzel
Quantum