Fw: Security Protocol Out/Request volume Element Address

Gerry.Houlder at seagate.com Gerry.Houlder at seagate.com
Thu Mar 30 14:17:39 PST 2006

* Gerry.Houlder at seagate.com
*
----- Forwarded by Gerry Houlder/Seagate on 03/30/2006 04:17 PM -----
	     Gerry
	     Houlder/Seagate
				       Kevin D Butt
				       <kdbutt at us.ibm.com>@INTERNET
	     03/29/2006 03:04						cc
	     PM
								   Subject
				       Re: Security Protocol Out/Request
				       volume Element Address(Document
				       link: Gerry Houlder)
I think the op code can still be changed, assuming we can find a 12 byte
CDB that has less conflict than B5h. I think the only candidate would be
B2h. That one used to be Search Data Low(12) and has been obsoleted,
probably because no one implemented it. Its use was documented for optical
drives. If that community is OK with the change, then I would be for it.
Clearly any change would have to be agreed very soon, because
implementations are pending in both tape and disk communities.
	     Kevin D Butt
	     <kdbutt at us.ibm.co
	     m> 							To
	     Sent by:		       t10 at t10.org
	     owner-t10 at t10.org						cc
	     No Phone Info
	     Available						   Subject
				       Security Protocol Out/Request
				       volume Element Address
	     03/29/2006 12:54
	     PM
I just noticed that the new Security Protocol Out command collides with the
op code for an SMC device (Request Volume Element Address).  I thought a
free op code was requested.  This means that Automation devices will never
be able to use any of the security protocols.  I think this is a bad idea.
I don't know where how all the library vendors missed this.  Can this be
changed?
Thanks,
Kevin D. Butt
MS 6TYA, 9000 S. Rita Rd., Tucson, AZ 85744
Tel: 520-799-2869 / 520-799-5280
Fax: 520-799-2723 (T/L:321)
Email address: kdbutt at us.ibm.com
http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/storage/