BROADCAST ASYNCHRONOUS EVENT

George Penokie gop at us.ibm.com
Thu Jul 6 13:53:26 PDT 2006

Formatted message: <A HREF="r0607067_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</A>

Steve,
The BROADCAST Received (x) messages that are received in by the
SL_CC0:Idle or the SL_CC1:ArbSel specifically result in a Change Received
confirmation. That confirmation will trigger a discovery of the topology.
A Broadcast (Asynchronous Event) should not be causing any confirmation
will trigger a discovery of the topology.  There are no other states in
which a Broadcast results in a confirmation to a management layer.
So the question is; Should the Broadcast (Asynchronous Event) cause a
notification to the management layer or is it like other Broadcasts that
are handled in some other fashion. If the management layer does care then
there will have to be a new confirmation added to some state machines
states (probably SL_CC0:Idle or the SL_CC1:ArbSel). Then the next question
is how far up the stack does it have to go. If it only needs to go to the
management layer, then using the same method as change would work. But if
the information needs to go up to the application client then there is a
problem in that SAM has no definition on how to handle an asynchronous
event.
Bye for now,
George Penokie
Dept 9A8 030-3 A410
E-Mail:    gop at us.ibm.com
Internal:  553-5208
External: 507-253-5208
Stephen FINCH <steve.finch at st.com>
Sent by: owner-t10 at t10.org
06/15/2006 04:05 PM
<t10 at t10.org>
cc
Subject
BROADCAST ASYNCHRONOUS EVENT
* Stephen FINCH <steve.finch at st.com>
*
I noticed that in sas2r04 that we define BROADCAST (ASYNCHRONOUS EVENT)
and have a way to send it, but we don't allow anyone to receive it.  I
think we need to add to the SL_CC state machine, in states CC0, CC1 and
CC2, the requirement for the CC state machine to send a ASYNCHRONOUS EVENT
RECEIVED confirmation to the management layer.	This is how the reception
of a BROADCAST (CHANGE) is handled.
Or maybe we should make the change more generic and allow _any_ received
BROADCAST to cause a confirmation to be sent to the management layer with
a type argument?
Regards,
Steve Finch
STMicroelectronics