SAS-2 Spread spectrum clock

Alvin.Cox at seagate.com Alvin.Cox at seagate.com
Wed Jul 5 08:29:06 PDT 2006

Formatted message: <A HREF="r0607052_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</A>

In this statement, "switching off" refers to the frequency modulation
applied to the transmitter clock (spread spectrum clocking) to reduce EMI.
Some SATA devices already have SSC enabled and receiver devices of
expanders and initiators that allow attachment of SATA devices are
required in SAS 1.1 to accommodate SSC. On last week's PHY teleconference,
three makers of expanders/initiators indicated that SSC applied to SAS 1.1
rates would be accepted by their receivers without issue. So far there has
been no case identified where SSC applied to the signal transmitted by an
end device transmitting at SAS 1.1 rates will cause an issue.
I hope this clarifies the situation.
Alvin Cox
Seagate Technology, LLC
Tel 405-350-7424
Cell 405-206-4809
E-Mail	alvin.cox at seagate.com
Ralph Weber <roweber at ieee.org>
Sent by: owner-t10 at t10.org
No Phone Info Available
07/05/2006 08:42 AM
t10 at t10.org
cc
Subject
Re: SAS-2 Spread spectrum clock
* Ralph Weber <roweber at ieee.org>
*
To be honest, I do not fully follow everything being said in
this thread, but one suggestion sticks out like a sore thumb.
"Why don't we switch off the SSC of the SAS device, if it is
connected to a SAS-1.1 expander?"
Fibre Channel includes features where valid physical connections
are automatically disabled because of protocol interoperability
problems.
These features have generated deep anger in the user community.
They are a black stain in Fibre Channel products for some very
critical customers.
"Switching off" anything that is correctly connected is a very
bad idea. This is not a path to be followed without grave
consideration.
Rob, you will have to twist my are really hard to really hard
to get my vote for this kind of proposal and I suspect you
prefer things that way.
All the best,
.Ralph

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org