Broadcast (Change) overload

Ralph Weber roweber at IEEE.org
Fri Jan 27 17:24:25 PST 2006

* Ralph Weber <roweber at ieee.org>
*
Regarding Rob's comment:

  "The BROADCAST (CHANGE)s may thrash for a while, but
  will stop when the expanders are not detecting any more
  changes."

In keeping with the bull-in-a-china-shop style I have
exhibited so far, I cannot help but wonder if BROADCAST
(CHANGE) is overloaded. Currently, it seems to serve two
functions:

  - Telling other Expanders to reassess their self-config-
    uration status
  - Telling HBAs to kick off a serious sweep through the
    SAS Domain looking for configurable devices

The HBA action induced by the expander-based thrashing of
BROADCAST (CHANGE)s cannot be helpful in the overall config-
uration process. Until the thrashing settles down, every
entry of the HBAs into the picture throws more unproductive
traffic on the links.

Have I missed something?

.Ralph

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org