How do SAS self-configuring expanders self configure?

Ralph Weber roweber at IEEE.org
Fri Jan 27 08:47:34 PST 2006

* Ralph Weber <roweber at ieee.org>
*
To me, this looks like a fine kettle of fish, particularly
in light of Kevin's comments.

If all the Expanders in a SAS Domain are self-configuring,
how do they avoid tripping over each other while they
march through the full topology tree? Who waits for whom
to set their Configuring bit to zero, and how long?
How many Broadcast (Changes) does an HBA have to see
before it can really scan the SAS Domain for interesting
End Devices?

It seems to me that Self-Configuring Expanders were defined
back when the only Expander that needed to be Self-Configuring
was the one and only Fanout Expander allowed in a SAS Domain.
The rules for and operation of Self-Configuring Expanders have
not been put under the interoperability magnifying glass since
those heady, early days.

If Self-Configuring Expanders are to become the linchpin of SAS
Domain configuration, I think the time has come for a careful
look at these issues.

All the best,

.Ralph

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org