SES-2 : Peer enclosure services processes with common managed elements

Elliott, Robert (Server Storage) Elliott at hp.com
Wed Jan 25 11:27:35 PST 2006

Yes, but A) and C) will each have difficulties with some of
the element types.

For example, if they share a Cooling element, and one requests
a fan speed of 111b and the other requests 001b, what speed
should the fan run at?

The Enclosure Services Controller Electronics element's SELECT
ELEMENT bit can be used to select an enclosure services process
as the "active" one.  This might be used to choose one of
the processes as the owner of any shared elements, letting the
other control them only if the active one fails - either
detected by the enclosure services processes themselves or
selected by software setting the SELECT ELEMENT bit to one
in the non-active one.

If one is not favored over the other, then perhaps the last
one to update an element gets what it requests.  Some
bits might make sense ORed or ANDed together.  This approach
seems unpredictable.

> QUESTION TWO: Assuming for the moment that case (C) above is
> permitted, then which of the following implementation
> alternatives are consistent with the standard?
>
> ALTERNATIVE ONE: Each ES process reports multiple
> subenclosures, with the common elements in the primary
> subenclosure and the unique elements in distinct subenclosures.
>
> ALTERNATIVE TWO: Each ES process reports a single
> subenclosure which contains all the elements that it manages.

I think of subenclosures more as complete enclosures that just
happen to be accessed via a primary subenclosure, rather than
as parts of the same enclosure.  This leads to alternative two.

Alternative 1 is subject to delivering a unique NAA identifier for
each subenclosure in the Configuration diagnostic page ENCLOSURE
LOGICAL IDENTIFIER field, which seems unlikely.

Rob Elliott, elliott at hp.com
https://ecardfile.com/id/RobElliott
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org