(correction - error is in SBC-3) Code error in SBC-3 Annex-C

Elliott, Robert (Server Storage) Elliott at hp.com
Wed Jan 4 08:04:18 PST 2006

Agilent had an SBC-2 letter ballot comment on odd byte handling in the
CRC; we decided to remove insertion of a pad byte of 00h that was shown
in a figure (which results in a different answer).  Brocade also had a
comment that led to "The block length is greater than or equal to one
byte and should be even" in 4.1.  Code to handle an odd length needs to
use special logic for the last byte (if implemented as XOR gates, the
XOR gates are different).

The simplest remedy would be to label the C code example as only
supporting an even numbers of bytes:

"The following is an example C program that generates the value for the
LOGICAL BLOCK GUARD field in protection information (see 4.16) <<for an
even number of bytes of user data>>."

Otherwise, someone will have to propose code modifications and
additional test case results.

Rob Elliott, elliott at hp.com
https://ecardfile.com/id/RobElliott