Redundant primitive sequences

Elliott, Robert (Server Storage) Elliott at hp.com
Tue Feb 28 11:29:31 PST 2006

Formatted message: <A HREF="r0602281_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</A>

The figure is showing when the receiver detects the primitive sequence
under a variety of different scenarios (but not every possible
scenario). If a transmitter sends more than 6, they'll still just be
decoded as part of one primitive sequence.
There are so few redundant primitives - BREAK, BROADCAST, and HARD_RESET
- that some of the details are not important.  After HARD_RESET, nothing
else matters.  After BREAK, another BREAK has no effect.  Identical
BROADCASTs are already subject to being combined by expanders, so
whether you decode 1 or two makes no difference.
If you're testing a transmitter, I'd flag it as a bug if it sent more
than 6 because there is no benefit from doing so and it was probably not
intended by the designer.  In a real system, though, receivers won't
mind.
Rob Elliott, elliott at hp.com
https://ecardfile.com/id/RobElliott