A descripancy on SBP2 spec 1998

Eric Anderson ewa at apple.com
Tue Feb 21 11:27:54 PST 2006

* Eric Anderson <ewa at apple.com>
*
Hello Sudeep,
Figure 7 is correct, but the example is confusing because some
information is missing.
For the example described using Figure 7, the ORB specifies p=0 and
page_size=4.  p=0 (page_table_present=0) indicates that no page table
is used, so data_descriptor points directly to the first byte of the
data buffer.  However, page_size=4 indicates the system has 4096-byte
(0x1000) page boundaries.  (This value of 4 is not clearly mentioned.)
This combination of p=0 and page_size=4 places some restrictions on
how the SBP-2 target may access the data.
In the example, the data length is 0x3088 and the data address is
0x236174.  So, system page boundaries occur inside the buffer at
0x237000, 0x238000, and 0x239000 as suggested in Figure 7.
A valid operation by the printer would be to transfer data like this:
1. Read 0x0E8C bytes at 0x236174
2. Read 0x1000 bytes at 0x237000
3. Read 0x1000 bytes at 0x238000
4. Read 0x01FC bytes at 0x239000
For comparison, the following operation would be invalid:
5. Read 0x1000 bytes at 0x236174
6. Read 0x1000 bytes at 0x237174
7. Read 0x1000 bytes at 0x238174
8. Read 0x0088 bytes at 0x239174
The second example (5-8) is invalid, because read 5 will cross the
page boundary at 0x237000, and read 6 will cross the page boundary at
0x238000, and read 7 will cross the page boundary at 0x239000.
Because p=0 and page_size=4, such reads are illegal.
In other words, the page boundaries are located at multiples of
0x1000 (in this example).  The location of the page boundaries does
not depend on where the buffer begins; instead, the page boundaries
are fixed in system memory based on the system page size.
Does this answer your question?
Eric Anderson
Apple Computer, Inc.
ewa at apple.com