Discovery and configuring

Ralph Weber roweber at IEEE.org
Mon Feb 20 17:53:38 PST 2006

* Ralph Weber <roweber at ieee.org>
*
Tim,
If you add the following, I will be (to first order at least) satisfied:
"A self-configuring expander device shall not set its CONFIGURING bit to
zero until it has completed configuring all route tables for all phys,
including phys where the REPORT GENERAL response contained the CONFIGURING
bit set to one at any point during the configuration process."
I reserve the right to raise additional questions after further review
of the proposed text.
All the best,
.Ralph
Tim Symons wrote:
>* Tim Symons <Tim_Symons at pmc-sierra.com>
>*
>Reference documents: 06-097r1 "- Discovery - configuring bit", and 06-098r1
"- Self configuring devices"

>Ralph,
>The configuring bit usage is described in the proposed section 4.7.5 (see
document 06-098r1)
>I beleive this resolves your first questions a) and b).
>
>When a device receives a REPORT GENERAL response with the CONFIGURING bit
set to one, then the management application client may complete it's route
table for other ports. In this case the route table shall be accurate for all
ports except for the route table entries attached to the port that has the
CONFIGURING bit set to one.
>When the device receives a BROADCAST (CHANGE) on the port that previously
had the CONFIGURE bit set to one, then the device should issue a REPORT
GENERAL request to verify that the BORADCAST (CHANGE) is indicating that the
self-configuring device has completed configuration, and that the BROADCAST
(CHANGE) is a notification that the self-configuring device has identified
changes that require attention from the device attached to the port.
>The device should then run the discovery process on that port to complete
the route tables.

>Does this clarify your interpretation of the process?
>
>In document 06-097r1 I propose that this be the behaviour for all management
application clients.
>This is in response to the points made on the call last week, that document
06-097r0 merely re-states the problem and does not make a definitive
recommendation.

>Do you have any suggestions for improving the proposals of 06-097 and 06-098
in order to ensure that this is unambiguous?

>Please ask further questions if this is unclear.
>
>Regards
>     Tim.
>
>Tim Symons
>Principal Engineer