Discovery and configuring

Tim Symons Tim_Symons at pmc-sierra.com
Mon Feb 20 16:49:39 PST 2006

* Tim Symons <Tim_Symons at pmc-sierra.com>
*
Reference documents: 06-097r1 "- Discovery - configuring bit", and 06-098r1
"- Self configuring devices"
Ralph,
The configuring bit usage is described in the proposed section 4.7.5 (see
document 06-098r1)
I beleive this resolves your first questions a) and b).
When a device receives a REPORT GENERAL response with the CONFIGURING bit set
to one, then the management application client may complete it's route table
for other ports. In this case the route table shall be accurate for all ports
except for the route table entries attached to the port that has the
CONFIGURING bit set to one.
When the device receives a BROADCAST (CHANGE) on the port that previously had
the CONFIGURE bit set to one, then the device should issue a REPORT GENERAL
request to verify that the BORADCAST (CHANGE) is indicating that the
self-configuring device has completed configuration, and that the BROADCAST
(CHANGE) is a notification that the self-configuring device has identified
changes that require attention from the device attached to the port.
The device should then run the discovery process on that port to complete the
route tables.
Does this clarify your interpretation of the process?
In document 06-097r1 I propose that this be the behaviour for all management
application clients.
This is in response to the points made on the call last week, that document
06-097r0 merely re-states the problem and does not make a definitive
recommendation.
Do you have any suggestions for improving the proposals of 06-097 and 06-098
in order to ensure that this is unambiguous?
Please ask further questions if this is unclear.
Regards
     Tim.
Tim Symons
Principal Engineer