DC impedance values (history)

Alvin.Cox at seagate.com Alvin.Cox at seagate.com
Tue Dec 12 09:23:06 PST 2006

Formatted message: <A HREF="r0612120_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</A>

I have found no reference to DC in the existing specification of impedance
values. The original SAS work included the following with regards to
impedance measurement:
All impedance measurements shall be TDR measurements except where the
receiver termination being tested includes inductive components such as
transformers.  When inductive components exist in the receiver
termination, a swept frequency Return Loss or VSWR measurement may be more
appropriate.  The frequency sweep shall cover the range Bit rate/10 to Bit
rate/2.
As far as I can tell from the SAS perspective, the term DC is first used
in Kevin's proposal. It may have resulted from the issue that we have not
specifically stated how the measurements are to be made (an item that
Kevin Witt has indicated that we need in the SAS-2 specification) or it
may be a carry-over from another specification (non-SAS). Appendix B is
very general in its measurement descriptions.
Alvin Cox
Seagate Technology, LLC
Tel 405-350-7424
Cell 405-206-4809