SAS-2 SNW final window TRAINDONE

Alvin.Cox at seagate.com Alvin.Cox at seagate.com
Fri Aug 25 08:53:53 PDT 2006

Formatted message: <A HREF="r0608250_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</A>

I am posting this as a seed for reflector discussion. We are making great
progress on the speed negotiation sequence and I would like to see things
worked out for our meeting on September 12th. I believe we have the
proposals in place, but we need some significant editing to make sure we
cover the details and uncover the holes.
Per our discussion yesterday, there was much concern that the final speed
negotiation window completion is not well-defined. I am concerned that
this is an area of hardware impact, so we need to consider what is going
on and how to make this robust.
How many TRAINDONE primitives should be sent at a time? The present
proposal shows 4. It was mentioned that this is an arbitrary number and
some suggested that there should be 6. How many are detected to
acknowledge that the sequence is actually over? (Remember that this is not
OOB bursts.)
The current proposal has two consecutive TRAINDONE sets around a scrambled
data payload sent by both PHY's as completing the training sequence. What
if the payload received after the first TRAINDONE is corrupt? Can the PHY
transmitter switch back to the TRAIN primitive to get additional time
since it saw an error in the data and may need additional training? I
don't see anything preventing this, but I don't want the option
overlooked.
Any other ideas? This window is significantly different from the other
speed negotiation windows so let's think it through and share the thoughts
so we can all think about them before our next call.
Alvin Cox
Seagate Technology, LLC
Tel 405-350-7424
Cell 405-206-4809