data protection format types

George Penokie gop at us.ibm.com
Thu Aug 10 14:00:41 PDT 2006

Formatted message: <A HREF="r0608102_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</A>

Gary,
As with all Inquiry bits and fields, those three bits define what the
device is capable of doing. No amount of formatting can change what the
devices reports in those bits.
Bye for now,
George Penokie
Dept 9A8 030-3 A410
E-Mail:    gop at us.ibm.com
Internal:  553-5208
External: 507-253-5208
Gary.Franco at Emulex.Com
Sent by: owner-t10 at t10.org
08/10/2006 02:46 PM
<t10 at t10.org>
cc
<Bob.Nixon at Emulex.Com>
Subject
data protection format types
I have a question with regard to the discussion in SPC4r04
In clause 7.6.4 Extended INQUIRY Data VPD page, there are 3 bits discussed
GRD_CHK,
APP_CHK and
REF_CHK
They are defined as far as their meaning, but never discussed how they are
set.
Is this part of the format process, or simply the capability of the device
firmware or design?
I got a response that said go look at any protected command (i.e.
read/write, etc.), however that does not answer the question.
Are these 3 bits somehow tied to the format type (type 1, 2, or 3)
__________________________________
Gary Franco Consultant Engineer
Emulex Network Systems
972-671-7433 Dallas Office
972-671-7435 Dallas Office Fax
720-652-6387 Longmont Colorado Office
720-494-1817 Longmont Colorado Office Fax
972-839-5694 Cell Phone
Today's Quote
It is not the cards you are dealt but what you do with them that counts.
-Anonymous
This message contains confidential information of Emulex Corporation
intended only for listed recipients and should not be forwarded to anyone
else.
If you have received this message in error, please delete it immediately.
Thank you.