Proposal to allow Mode Sense through Read Only Persistent Reservation

George Penokie gop at us.ibm.com
Fri Sep 9 07:30:24 PDT 2005

* George Penokie <gop at us.ibm.com>
--=_alternative 004F78CF86257077_=

I have posted a proposal the will allow a Mode Sense command through
Read Only types of Persistent Reservations. This is being requested
because IBM is consistently fielding complaints from the field regarding
that peculiarity of the SCSI Persistent Reservation behavior (i.e., a
reservation exists on a device such that a given initiator has "Read
Only" access, this initiator is returned a reservation conflict on a
Mode Sense command). We believe all initiators who are allowed access to
the media should be able to view mode data settings. Things such as the
Q_ERR value are of particular concern for initiators accessing the
media.

The proposal (05-331r1) requests that if an initiator is permitted to
read from the media, they should be given visibility to the mode data
settings under which this access occurs.

Bye for now,
George Penokie

Dept 2C6  114-2 N212
E-Mail:    gop at us.ibm.com
Internal:  553-5208
External: 507-253-5208   FAX: 507-253-2880

--=_alternative 004F78CF86257077_=

a Mode Sense command through Read Only types of Persistent Reservations.
This is being requested because IBM is consistently fielding complaints
|from the field regarding that peculiarity of the SCSI Persistent Reservation
behavior (i.e., a reservation exists on a device such that a given initiator
has "Read Only" access, this initiator is returned a reservation
conflict on a Mode Sense command). We believe all initiators who are allowed
access to the media should be able to view mode data settings. Things such
as the Q_ERR value are of particular concern for initiators accessing the
media.</font>
if an initiator is permitted to read from the media, they should be given
visibility to the mode data settings under which this access occurs.</font>
Bye for now,<br>
George Penokie<br>
Dept 2C6 &nbsp;114-2 N212<br>
E-Mail: &nbsp; &nbsp;gop at us.ibm.com<br>
Internal: &nbsp;553-5208<br>
External: 507-253-5208 &nbsp; FAX: 507-253-2880<br>
--=_alternative 004F78CF86257077_=--