AACS command proposal issue

Takaharu Ai ai.takaharu at jp.panasonic.com
Tue Mar 15 18:09:05 PST 2005

* Takaharu Ai <ai.takaharu at jp.panasonic.com>
*
Hello Ishihara-san,

I have one comment regarding the ASC/ASCQ for AACS, which was already
mentioned in the last Mt.Fuji/MMC joint meeting.

According to your proposal, ASC/ASCQ for the request of Existing Binding
Nonce on the media by REPORT KEY command, Volume ID, Pre-recorded Serial
Number and Media ID by READ DVD STRUCTURE command is 5/6F/01 COPY
PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT PRESENT.

But this situation is compared to the case of receiving the request of
Disc Key by READ DVD STRUCTURE and Title Key by REPORT KEY for CSS disc
when the drive is not in Bus Key Established state. According to the
current Mt.Fuji5/MMC4, the ASC/ASCQ is 5/6F/02 COPY PROTECTION KEY
EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT ESTABLISHED for this case.

I think 6F/02 is more appropriate than 6F/01 for your case. Because
6F/01 is used to inform that requested Key is not on the requested
location of the disc. For example, 6F/01 is returned when the specified
LBA does not have Title key.

Here, a new question arise. What kind of data shall be returned when
Existing Binding Nonce of the specified LBA, where Binding Nonce has
never been recorded, is requested? Null data, or CC status and KEY NOT
PRESENT?

Takaharu Ai
ODSDC
Panasonic AVC Networks Company