Comments Received and Responses for AACS Command Set

Atsushi Ishihara atsushi.ishihara at toshiba.co.jp
Sun Mar 6 22:41:50 PST 2005

* atsushi.ishihara at toshiba.co.jp (Atsushi Ishihara)
*
Dear All,

Thank you for those who provided comments via the reflector or
by other channel to the draft for AACS command set that was
uploaded to the Mt. Fuji FTP site on February 15th. In this
mail, I try to consolidate the comments received and to provide

(1) Some method to determine the minimum number of sectors
    required for a Binding Nonce value (for the current media)
    must be decided upon, that should not be a try-and-error
    scheme and should be available for a read-only drive.

I accepted this comment by using GET CONFIGURATION command by
specifying the Byte 5 of the AACS Feture Descriptor as Block
Count for Binding Nonce.

(2) To maintain compatibility with existing SKSV usage, would
    suggest that when the error 05/6F/06 is returned and SKSV
    is set to TRUE, that bit number 6 (next to SKSV) should be
    set to one to indicate that the error occurred due to the
    command (and not transferred data).

I accepted this comment and modified the relevant portion of
REQUEST SENSE command.

    should have been to Table 410 (shows in table 409 in the
    document), and should contain BPV field with adding the
    following text:

      The C/D field shall be set to one for this error.  The
      BPV field shall be set to zero.

I accepted this comment as well and modified the relevant
portion of REQUEST SENSE command.

(4) The AACS group decided to use a term "Pre-recorded Media
    Serial Number" instead of "Pre-recorded Disc Serial Number"
    that has been used.

I made a global change of this terminology.

(5) It was pointed out that the length of returned data via the
    AACS authentication is 144 bytes, not 32 bytes.

I accepted this comment and modified the relevant portion of
REPORT KEY command.

(6) The error code is not described for REPORT KEY command
    regarding the Binding Nonce when it is issued while a drive
    is not in the "Challenge Key in Hold" state.

I accepted this comment and modified the relevant portions of
REPORT KEY command.

(7) It would be better to specify usage of the "Layer Number"
    as "Layer Number" instead of "Reserved", for READ DVD
    STRUCTURE command with the following Format codes.

   12h : HD DVD Copyright Protection Information
   15h : Copyright Data Section
   17h : Media Key Block of AACS

I accepted this comment for the Format code = 12h and 17h and
modified the relevant portions of READ DVD STRUCTURE command.
With regard to the Format code = 15h, I would like to forward
this comment to the editor of the HD DVD command set.

(8) The length of the HD DVD Copyright Protection Information
    is 2 Kbytes, not 60 Kbytes.

I corrected the length as commented in the relevant portion of
READ DVD STRUCTURE command.

I have placed an updated draft for AACS command set on the Mt. Fuji
FTP site. Please look in the following URL.

    ftp://ftp.avc-pioneer.com/Mtfuji_6/Proposal/MAR05/AACS/

    File name is AACS 050306.zip

Best Regards,
Atsushi Ishihara, Toshiba
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org