SAS-1.1 PHY - Comments on 05-059r0

Bill Ham bill_ham at ix.netcom.com
Fri Mar 4 10:58:22 PST 2005

* Bill Ham <bill_ham at ix.netcom.com>
*
Hi,

So do I (prefer not to use the free and fixed).  Should we start the dialog with EIA (and I suspect ISO and IEC) on the point or just ignore then and go about our business?  After all they are only the normative standards for the connectors.

The free and fixed terminology is defined specifically for every connector interface.  Fixed does not map with receptacle or plug unless defined that way for that particular connector interface.  So one connector could have free receptacles and another could have fixed receptacles.  Is that confusing?  I think so hence why I agree with your preference but probably not with the best course of action.

The best course of action appears to me to be either (1) purge the free/fixed out of all specifications including EIA,ISO,IEC or (2) to carry the free/fixed along with the plug/receptacle when even it is used.  The latter is far easier to pull off.

Cheers, Bill