SAS-1.1 PHY - Comments on 05-059r0

Dal Allan endlcom at acm.org
Tue Mar 1 12:25:50 PST 2005

* Dal Allan <endlcom at acm.org>
*
Hi Alvin,

> The descriptions of SAS external cable plug and
> SAS internal cable receptacle without adding free
> to the name are complete.

Table 22 is invaluable, and my proposal was intended to complement it with consistent naming. Plug still connotates cable/free to me so making it explicit for fixed applications seemed helpful.

The current names are a combination of explicit and implicit features, and here's the table I started with (the implicit features are in all-caps).

  FIXED INTERNAL         SAS plug
  free  internal         SAS internal cable receptacle
  FIXED INTERNAL         SAS backplane receptacle
  free  external         SAS external cable plug
  FIXED external         SAS external receptacle
  FIXED internal         SAS internal wide plug
  free  internal         SAS internal wide cable receptacle

The current names are not inaccurate.

There is no technical issue with leaving them the way they are.

All the best,

Dal

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org