spc3r21c.pdf tupo kib != KiB

Peter Johansson PJohansson at acm.org
Fri Jan 21 22:06:10 PST 2005

* Peter Johansson <PJohansson at ACM.org>
*
--=====================_47059984==.ALT

At 04:06 PM 1/21/2005 -0800, Dennis Painter wrote:

Presumably our marketing persons would use plain English, [...] Webster
defines a Gigabyte as [...] 1,073,741,824 bytes.

Sigh! Should we write to Webster and let them know that they've got it
wrong?

Admittedly a byte is not one of the seven basic SI units, but the
definition of "gigabyte" most likely falls under the purview of the
Conf=E9rence G=E9n=E9rale des Poids et Mesures (CGPM), which defines it =
as
1,000,000,000 bytes. Even though the lowly byte is neither a "unit
outside the SI that is accepted for use with the SI" nor under
consideration for use within the SI!

PS For your future reference, there's a minor gotcha in all this
nomenclature:

     1000 bytes =3D 1 kilobyte =3D 1 kB
     1024 bytes =3D 1 kibibyte =3D 1 Kib

Note the difference in capitalization of the initial letter.

PPS Perhaps all of these mebibytes and kibibytes are best contemplated
in the company of the following rhyme from the Space Child's Mother
Goose:

Probable-Possible, my black hen,
She lays eggs in the Relative When.
She doesn't lay eggs in the Positive Now
Because she's unable to Postulate How.

Maybe yes ... and maybe no ...

Regards,

Peter Johansson