spc3r21c.pdf tupo kib != KiB

Pat LaVarre plavarre at lexarmedia.com
Fri Jan 21 14:18:32 PST 2005

* "Pat LaVarre" <plavarre at lexarmedia.com>
*
> > 10**3 << 2**10
>
> Yes, given a fixed price, if you're buying,
> then you want to buy one tebibyte, not just one terabyte.
>
> But if I'm selling, given that same fixed price, then I want to sell
one
> terabyte, not approximately 0.931322574615478515625 tebibytes.
>
> Agreed?
>
> PEL
> http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html

By now we have demoed a couple of times, I find this kind of discussion
difficult to type accurately.  Here I probably actually meant to say:

If I'm selling, given that same fixed price, then I want to sell one
terabyte, not the approximately 1.099511627776 terabytes that is one
tebibyte.

All clear now?

PEL
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org