SAS-1.1 PHY - Comments on 05-059r0

Alvin.Cox at seagate.com Alvin.Cox at seagate.com
Mon Feb 28 12:41:15 PST 2005

* Alvin.Cox at seagate.com
--=_alternative 007185F386256FB6_=

Item 1 of this proposal has been included in r1 of 05-023. This revision
corrects the figure reversal.

Regarding item 2, I suggest that we do not change the naming of the
clauses and figures. The recommendation is only a partial solution, as
the retention of the words plug and receptacle, per my understanding,
does not satisfy the intended political correctness that fixed and free
are supposed to bring by removing any sexual connotation. The bottom
line is that plug and receptacle are very descriptive names for the
connector physical attributes while fixed and free relate to usage
(fixed location or free to move to another location) and have no
relationship to the connector physical description.

Test from 05-059r0:

Item 2: Recommendation

Explicit and consistent titling of the clauses and figures as per the
following (or similar).

5.2.3.2 and Figure SAS Fixed Internal Plug Connector
5.2.3.3 and Figure SAS Free Internal Cable Receptacle Connector
5.2.3.4 and Figure SAS Fixed Internal Backplane Receptacle Connector
5.2.3.6 and Figure SAS Free External Cable Plug Connector
5.2.3.7 and Figure SAS Fixed External Receptacle Connector
5.2.3.9 and Figure SAS Fixed Internal Wide Plug Connector
5.2.3.10 and Figure SAS Free Internal Wide Cable Receptacle Connector

Alvin Cox
Seagate Technology, LLC
Tel 405-350-7424
Fax 405-324-3067
Cell 405-206-4809
E-Mail  alvin.cox at seagate.com

--=_alternative 007185F386256FB6_=

in r1 of 05-023. This revision corrects the figure reversal.</font>
do not change the naming of the clauses and figures. The recommendation
is only a partial solution, as the retention of the words plug and receptacle,
per my understanding, does not satisfy the intended political correctness
that fixed and free are supposed to bring by removing any sexual connotation.
The bottom line is that plug and receptacle are very descriptive names
for the connector physical attributes while fixed and free relate to usage
(fixed location or free to move to another location) and have no relationship
to the connector physical description.</font>
clauses and figures as per the following (or similar).</font>
Plug Connector</font>
Cable Receptacle Connector</font>
Backplane Receptacle Connector</font>
Cable Plug Connector</font>