QA Action Item: ASCQ

keiji_katata at post.pioneer.co.jp keiji_katata at post.pioneer.co.jp
Tue Feb 1 02:51:27 PST 2005

* keiji_katata at post.pioneer.co.jp
*

Hi David,

Yes, when writing LBA range except start LBA shown by "Logical Block
Address" field exceeds End LBA of the disc, 5/21/00 may be reported.
Of cause, "5/21/03" may be able to have better description for your
specific purpose.

My comment about 5/21/00 means that in case of CD-R/DVD-R when "Logical
Block Address" field of Write10/12 command is not correct, 5/21/02 will be
reported. It is not 5/21/00. And the chance of writing on the End LBA of
disc is only once per writeonce disc. So anyone can know which had happened
crossing Layer Jump point or crossing End LBA of disc. So I think 5/21/00
may be OK.

WRITE AND VERIFY10 does not work with CD-R/DVD-R due to linking loss.

Best regards,

Keiji Katata
PIONEER CORP.

David Burg <dburg at nero.com> on 2005/02/01 19:23:10

$B08 at h(J:  mtfuji5 at avc-pioneer.com, keiji_katata at post.pioneer.co.jp
cc:    T10 at t10.org
bcc:
$B7oL>(J:  RE: QA Action Item: ASCQ

Dear Katata-san,

I can get 5/21/00 by writing to a LBA outside the user addressable
space, isn't
it? (That is, the starting address of the write is invalid).

Furthermore, WRITE10 and WRITE12 CDBs field are "Logical Block Address",
only
WRITE AND VERIFY10 CDB has "Starting Logical Address" (... in MMC 4, not in
Mt
Fuji 5). 5/21/03 makes it clear that the range (start to end) of the write
is
the issue, 5/21/00 means for me that the start address, LBA, is not
reachable
(out of range).

Is it clearer?

Best regards,

David.

Quoting keiji_katata at post.pioneer.co.jp:

> Hi,
>
> How are you confused? What information do you receive from the error
code?
> Let me know what is different between two errors for Write10 command.
> 5/21/00: LOGICAL BLOCK ADDRESS OUT OF RANGE
> 5/21/03: INVALID RANGE FOR WRITE
>
> Technically both have same description. So someone may be confused.
>
> I think both show that the first address is correct (match with NWA). But
> an address on the way is not correct. There may be two typical reasons.
One
> is NWA disappears at the End sector number of the recordable disc.
Another

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org