PHY numbering within a Wide Port

Gil Romo gil.romo at qlogic.com
Mon Aug 29 10:05:40 PDT 2005

* Gil Romo <gil.romo at qlogic.com>
*
Not an answer to the original question, but here is some related information:

Subclause 4.2.7 states "Phy identifiers shall be greater or equal to 00h and
less than 80h, and should be numbered starting with 00h.  In an expander device
or in a SAS device containing an SMP target port, phy identifiers shall be less
than the value of the NUMBER OF PHYS field in the SMP REPORT GENERAL function".

Therefore, to comply with the latter rule, phy identifiers must start at zero
for some devices (ie, if N equals NUMBER OF PHYS then N contains the set 0 to N
minus 1 where each value is less than N).

> Subject: RE: PHY numbering within a Wide Port
> Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:32:37 -0500
> From: "Elliott, Robert (Server Storage)" <Elliott at hp.com>
> To: <t10 at t10.org>

> * "Elliott, Robert (Server Storage)" <Elliott at hp.com>
> *
>
> > From: Bill Martin
> >
> > From SAS 1.1, it is required that a device have all of
> > its PHYs numbered consecutively from 1 to the maximum number
> > of PHYs.  Is there any requirement that the PHYs in a wide
> > port be consecutively numbered.  I do not currently find
> > any restrictions on the numbering of PHYs in a wide port.
>
> There is no such requirement.
>
> Even if the phys are eventually sequential, as they power at
> up different times the wide port is bound to have periods where
> they appear not to be.
> --
> Rob Elliott, elliott at hp.com
> Hewlett-Packard Industry Standard Server Storage Advanced Technology
> https://ecardfile.com/id/RobElliott
>
> *

Gilbert Romo                         Digital Circuits Engineer
Voice: (949) 389-6266                QLogic Corporation
E-mail: gil.romo at qlogic.com          Aliso Viejo, California

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org