Twin Format layer to play selection issue for PC software player

David Burg dburg at nero.com
Thu Aug 11 09:33:45 PDT 2005

* "David Burg" <dburg at nero.com>
*
Hello Katata-san,

I have as well not decided anything yet, but I'll jump in regarding the file
system. ;-)

3. Regarding the autoplay disc content scanning at insertion, this is done
|from a user mode component doing regular file system access. Henry mentioned
in a later e-mail he propose to minimize the reference from high definition
layer to low definition layer. Accordingly, assuming that the file system
will mount the highest session like Windows does today, the content scanning
will generate only if not mostly access to a single layer.

5. "Anyway UDF
2.5/2.6 is necessary for Blue media. So we may not need to talk about such
old OS. Because the system cannot mount the disc."

Sorry this is not correct for Video disc. Video playback software are used
to perform block access and parse the filesystem themselves. Hence they are
not bind to the OS for the reading of the file system. For instance, Nero
ShowTime is able to read Temp_VMGI video discs although the OS does not
understand its file system. The same is likely to apply to UDF 2.50/2.60.

Best regards,

David Burg,
Nero AG.