What should FORMAT command do with mode parameters?

George Penokie gop at us.ibm.com
Thu Aug 4 08:04:56 PDT 2005

* George Penokie <gop at us.ibm.com>
--=_alternative 0052AC0186257053_=

Gerry,

As I recall, the committee agreed that the effect a format command has
on mode pages should be no different that the effect any other command
has on mode pages, so no special wording in format was needed. Also,
because of conflicts with other mode page descriptions, all the bit did
was cause confusion as what special effect format had on mode pages, so
it was made obsolete. That, of course, means that if you can figure out
want it means in SBC you can still use it.

Bye for now,
George Penokie

Dept 2C6  114-2 N212
E-Mail:    gop at us.ibm.com
Internal:  553-5208
External: 507-253-5208   FAX: 507-253-2880

Gerry.Houlder at seagate.com
Sent by: owner-t10 at t10.org

08/02/2005 03:32 PM

t10 at t10.org

cc

Subject
What should FORMAT command do with mode parameters?

* Gerry.Houlder at seagate.com
*
I see that SBC-2 has changed the FORMAT command such that the DSP
(Disable
Saving Parameters) bit is now obsolete. However I don't see any text
added
that indicates what should happen to mode parameters during FORMAT. Are
they always required to be saved, or always required to not be saved, or
is
the behavior vendor specific?

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org

--=_alternative 0052AC0186257053_=

the effect a format command has on mode pages should be no different that
the effect any other command has on mode pages, so no special wording in
format was needed. Also, because of conflicts with other mode page descriptions,
all the bit did was cause confusion as what special effect format had on
mode pages, so it was made obsolete. That, of course, means that if you
can figure out want it means in SBC you can still use it.</font>
Bye for now,<br>
George Penokie<br>
Dept 2C6 &nbsp;114-2 N212<br>
E-Mail: &nbsp; &nbsp;gop at us.ibm.com<br>
Internal: &nbsp;553-5208<br>
External: 507-253-5208 &nbsp; FAX: 507-253-2880<br>
do with mode parameters?</font></table>
* Gerry.Houlder at seagate.com<br>
*<br>
I see that SBC-2 has changed the FORMAT command such that the DSP (Disable<br>
Saving Parameters) bit is now obsolete. However I don't see any text added<br>
that indicates what should happen to mode parameters during FORMAT. Are<br>
they always required to be saved, or always required to not be saved, or
is<br>
the behavior vendor specific?<br>
*<br>
* For T10 Reflector information, send a message with<br>
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org<br>
</tt></font>
--=_alternative 0052AC0186257053_=--