A track length of 0xFFFD0001 on DVD (RTI cmd) ring a bell ?

Peter Van Hove Peter at Smart-Projects.net
Thu Aug 4 02:15:35 PDT 2005

* "Peter Van Hove" <Peter at Smart-Projects.net>
*
Hi Keiji,

> So the DVD drive may have problem or the DVD disc may have problem.

Absolutely !

That's a fact.  All points to the drive not being able to determine the disc
layout properly anymore (e.g. unreadable structures).

I was just wondering what kind of logic a drive internally could follow so
that two independant drives
on two independant discs (totally no connection whatsoever) would result in
the same strange length.
Hence my "calculation" based on the strategy you explained to calculate the
track length.

E.g. if this is following case  : only 1 RZone, no border out, then
following calculation is true for the track length :
"Last Recorded Sector Number of the last RZone in the
Bordered Areaa" - "Start Sector Number of RZone #1".

And if the drive is confused about the last recorded sector number, e.g.
thinks it's PSN 0x01 then 0x01 - 0x30000 = 0xFFFD0001
(0x01 = 0xFFFFFFFF + 2 when DWORD limited (stupid I didn't think of that in
last mail))

Best Regards,
Peter