iSCSI Name format question

Paul von Behren Paul.Vonbehren at sun.com
Thu Apr 21 19:24:27 PDT 2005

* Paul von Behren <Paul.Vonbehren at Sun.COM>
*

Paul von Behren wrote:

> * Paul von Behren <Paul.Vonbehren at Sun.COM>
> *
>  From SPC3 rev 22a - 7.6.3.11 SCSI name string identifier format
>
> "The SCSI NAME STRING field starts with either:
> c) The four UTF-8 characters "iqn." concatenated with an iSCSI Name for
> an iSCSI-name based identifier (see iSCSI).
> If the ASSOCIATION field is set to 01b (i.e., target port), the SCSI
> NAME STRING field ends with the five UTF-8 characters ",t,0x"
> concatenated with two or more hexadecimal digits as specified in the
> applicable SCSI transport protocol standard (see 3.1.102)."
>
> Why "two or more"?  The TPGT (the iSCSI stuff after the ",t,")
> is a 16-bit unsigned value presented in text.  The RFC does not
> specify the radix,

The RFC actually does specify the radix - exactly like SPC3 specifies.

But I'm still confused about the "two or more" wording in SPC3.

I read the RFC section on formating hex-constants to say the TPGT
part of the port identifier shall be exactly 4 characters.  Which
does comply to "two or more", but I'm not certain what case
two or three would apply.

Paul

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org