Can one LU be in multiple devices?

Mallikarjun C. cbm at rose.hp.com
Mon Sep 27 17:53:41 PDT 2004

* "Mallikarjun C." <cbm at rose.hp.com>
*
iSCSI allows one "network entity" to host multiple SCSI devices. Since
all the LU inventory is accesible in the same physical box, each LU can
actually be a member of multiple SCSI devices and there are some
advantages in doing that.  A similar situation exists for
multi-networked devices and virtualization boxes.

I'd like to solicit input from this list on this question: is it
SAM-3-compliant to have one LU appear in multiple devices?

Jim Hafner and I had an offline email discussion on this.  Jim's
position was that LUs appearing in multiple devices is legal, because
(paraphrasing him; Jim, please add/correct):
- It is technically no different from dual-controller arrays (same LU
can be presented on each I_T nexus, and the nexus ID doesn't include the
device identifier).
- Storage virtualizers do this today as well.
- Target Reset task management function leads to different results if
the LU is contained in two devices versus one device, but the recent
obsolescence of Target Reset helps.

I tended to concur with him, but after looking through the SAM-3
drawings, I am not sure.  Here's my reasoning:

1. SAM-3's hierarchy diagrams show containment relationships (3.6.1
makes this clear).

2. Figure 11 and Figure 14 (in 4.7.2 & 4.8 respectively) together imply
to me that a device server is contained within a SCSI device.

3. From the same figures, the containment relationship between the
target device object & the device server object is 1-to-1.  IOW, Figure
11 does not show a Logical Unit being contained in more than one SCSI
target device (more precisely, the SCSI target device box is not shaded).

Putting these things together, having one LU (i.e. with all the
composition shown in Figure 14) show up as a contained object in
multiple discrete SCSI target device instances seems disallowed.

Now the questions are:  Is my reading of the drawings correct?  If so,
is this prohibition (that each LU belongs to one and only SCSI device)
intended?

Comments would help.  Thanks.
--
Mallikarjun