place power on time in a standard log page?

Kevin D Butt kdbutt at us.ibm.com
Tue Sep 7 08:29:50 PDT 2004

* Kevin D Butt <kdbutt at us.ibm.com>
--=_alternative 0055092D07256F08_=

Doug,

Please look at my proposal 04-271 which proposes a Time of Day setting
which defaults to a power-on time when the time of day timestamp has not
been set.  This will be the first discussion of this proposal in CAP
next week.  I hope to get it approved then, but I have been told my
expectations may be high.  If you have suggestions for changes please
let me know.

Thanks,

Kevin D. Butt
Fibre Channel & SCSI Architect, IBM Tape Microcode,
6TYA, 9000 S. Rita Rd., Tucson, AZ  85744
Tie-line 321; Office: 520-799-5280, Lab: 799-5751, Fax: 799-4138, Email:
kdbutt at us.ibm.com

Douglas Gilbert <dougg at torque.net>
Sent by: owner-t10 at t10.org

09/05/2004 06:48 PM

Please respond to
dougg

t10 at t10.org

cc
dgilbert at interlog.com

Subject
place power on time in a standard log page?

* Douglas Gilbert <dougg at torque.net>
*
The self-test result log page (SPC-3) has a timestamp
field which is the total accumulated power on hours at
the time when the self-test was done. So recent disks
which typically support this log page need to keep track
of the accumulated power on time.

However there is no standard log page (as at SPC-3 rev 20a)
that makes this value available. One could use the SEND
DIAGNOSTIC command to do a background short self-test and read
the result 2 minutes later. That approach seems a bit obtuse.

Both Seagate and Hitachi have a vendor specific "factory" log
page (3Eh) that makes the power on time value available.

Could space be found in an existing standard log page (or
a new one) for the power on time?

Doug Gilbert

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org

--=_alternative 0055092D07256F08_=

proposes a Time of Day setting which defaults to a power-on time when the
time of day timestamp has not been set. &nbsp;This will be the first discussion
of this proposal in CAP next week. &nbsp;I hope to get it approved then,
but I have been told my expectations may be high. &nbsp;If you have suggestions
for changes please let me know.</font>
Kevin D. Butt<br>
Fibre Channel &amp; SCSI Architect, IBM Tape Microcode, <br>
6TYA, 9000 S. Rita Rd., Tucson, AZ &nbsp;85744<br>
Tie-line 321; Office: 520-799-5280, Lab: 799-5751, Fax: 799-4138, Email:
kdbutt at us.ibm.com</font>
standard log page?</font></table>
* Douglas Gilbert <dougg at torque.net&gt;<br>
*<br>
The self-test result log page (SPC-3) has a timestamp<br>
field which is the total accumulated power on hours at<br>
the time when the self-test was done. So recent disks<br>
which typically support this log page need to keep track<br>
of the accumulated power on time.<br>
However there is no standard log page (as at SPC-3 rev 20a)<br>
that makes this value available. One could use the SEND<br>
DIAGNOSTIC command to do a background short self-test and read<br>
the result 2 minutes later. That approach seems a bit obtuse.<br>
Both Seagate and Hitachi have a vendor specific "factory" log<br>
page (3Eh) that makes the power on time value available.<br>
Could space be found in an existing standard log page (or<br>
a new one) for the power on time?<br>
Doug Gilbert <br>
*<br>
* For T10 Reflector information, send a message with<br>
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org<br>
</tt></font>
--=_alternative 0055092D07256F08_=--