SAS Phy layer _ some queries

Jim Lott Jim.Lott at dalsemi.com
Thu Sep 2 08:44:45 PDT 2004

* Jim Lott <Jim.Lott at dalsemi.com>
*

SAS1.1r5 section 6.5, with regard to oob states:

"A receiver shall detect an OOB signal after receiving four consecutive idle
time/burst time pairs (see figure 58). It is not an error to receive more
than four idle time/burst time pairs. A receiver shall not detect the same
OOB signal again until it has detected the corresponding negation time
(i.e., a COMINIT negation time for a COMINIT) or has detected a different
OOB signal (e.g., if a COMINIT was previously detected, then four sets of
COMWAKE idle times followed by burst times are detected, a COMWAKE is
detected; another COMINIT
may follow)."

Scenario:

Let's assume that as many as 100 COMINIT burst idle pairs are received
without the negation at the end.  The burst idle pairs are changed to an
invalid OOB or a different OOB signal at some point within the 100 pair.
COMINIT detected is sent to the SP state machine after 4 consecutive valid
pairs are received.

Question:

What happens after the invalid sequence (or a different OOB signal) is
received?

The COMINIT  has been detected and the OOB sequence changes to COMWAKE.

Does the COMINIT detected remain valid?

Should COMWAKE detected become valid after detecting 4 COMWAKE sequences?

Should the COMINIT be considered completed upon detection of the COMWAKES or
the fact that valid COMINITs are no longer being received?

Jim