[t13] SCSI ATA f/w revision bytes how many

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at pobox.com
Mon May 24 13:15:31 PDT 2004

* Jeff Garzik <jgarzik at pobox.com>
*
Pat LaVarre wrote:
> Kindly offline I am reminded that people say Linux has a couple of
> generations of bidirectional ATA pass thru defined, also Microsoft has a
> bidirectional ATA pass thru in Windows Server 2003 ...
>
> If true, then to add ATA into SCSI, we could emulate either of those
> standards with a command out/ data out command followed by a data in/
> status in command.

Correct, and that was my approach.

The biggest task is attempting to fit all information I need to properly
set up an ATA taskfile into a 16-byte CDB.  I may use SCSI's variable
CDB standard, or some other solution (such as an ioctl directly
submitting the taskfile) if SCSI CDB size limitations prove too annoying.

	Jeff

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org