Deadlock Scenario (?)

Gil Romo gil.romo at qlogic.com
Thu Jun 24 14:16:06 PDT 2004

* Gil Romo <gil.romo at qlogic.com>
*
When a pathway is blocked by the ECR pathway and not the destination port,
should the expander resources be released using pathway recovery?

The ECM currently does not recognize this condition and does not present this
information to the requesting phy.

This scenario is similar to requests crossing on a link, but this link is wide
and crossing requests are handled only by the phys on the link.

Gil

> Subject: RE: Deadlock Scenario (?)
> Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 09:18:45 -0500
> From: "Elliott, Robert (Server Storage)" <elliott at hp.com>
> To: <t10 at t10.org>

> * "Elliott, Robert (Server Storage)" <elliott at hp.com>
> *
> I think we should change the message used when "there are insufficient
> routing resources" from Arbitrating (Waiting on Connection) to
> Arbitrating (Waiting on Partial).
>
> In your example, the requests are not really waiting on a connection,
> they are waiting on partial connections.  On the left, phys W and X are
> returning Phy Status (Partial Pathway), not Phy Status (Connection), at
> this time.  If there really were a narrow port on which the Phy Y
> request was waiting, that would cause Arbitrating (Waiting on Partial).
>
> --
> Rob Elliott, elliott at hp.com
> Hewlett-Packard Industry Standard Server Storage Advanced Technology
> https://ecardfile.com/id/RobElliott

Gilbert Romo
Circuits & Integration
QLogic Corporation, Aliso Viejo, California
Office: 949-389-6266
E-mail: gil.romo at qlogic.com

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org