[t13] op x12 "INQUIRY" "vendor id" how distinct

Pat LaVarre p.lavarre at ieee.org
Fri Jun 4 10:55:20 PDT 2004

This message is from the T13 list server.

In the 2004-06-04 SCSI/ATA telecon I believe I heard, ...

Anybody making a device that ships without a "vendor identification"
listed at t10.org actually can fix that rudeness gratis, merely by
volunteering t10.org people to help by visiting:

http://www.t10.org/
http://www.t10.org/lists/1spc-lst.htm
http://www.t10.org/lists/2vid.htm
http://www.t10.org/members/vendorid.htm

This claim naturally raises the question, how do we know if a device has
shipped without a blessed vendor id?  A partial answer is:

In practice, reserving a "vendor identification" reserves that ID
expressed as eight bytes, in upper or lower or arbitrarily mixed case,
with any number of leading and trailing blanks.

See also:

http://www.google.com/search?q=ieee+oui
http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/index.shtml

See also:

spc 3 annex b

iso/iec document 13213 1994 section 3.1.8.0
ata 7 page 137 has full reference

Pat LaVarre