SCSI-ATA translation: Handling of SMART

Curtis Stevens curtis.stevens at wdc.com
Fri Jun 4 08:26:26 PDT 2004

* "Curtis Stevens" <curtis.stevens at wdc.com>
*
Rich

	SMART is a capability that has a series of subfunctions.  The SMART
counter data is generally incompatible with current log pages as they are
defined.  New log pages could be created that better match what SMART
returns in its logs.  However, several of the subfunctions perform offline
diagnostics that simply return a result in some ATA registers.  At the end
of the day, something new is required.  Using a combination of log pages and
new commands could accomplish the goal, but a pass thorough capability
accomplishes the same goal and would be less impaired as ATA continues to
evolve.

Curtis E. Stevens
20511 Lake Forest Dr.  #C 214-D
Lake Forest, Ca. 92630