SCSI-ATA translation: Handling of SMART

Rich Ramos rich_ramos at us.xyratex.com
Thu Jun 3 17:54:07 PDT 2004

* Rich Ramos <rich_ramos at us.xyratex.com>
*

In going back through my notes on SMART as it was discussed during
the last meeting, I noted that Curtis was working on a definition of
"SMART passthrough" for SCSI.

I have to admit I don't know much about ATA SMART, so keep that in
mind when answering this question since this is possibly a naive
question :)

Is a passthrough mechanism somehow a superior method than the current
Informational Exceptions log pages?  What are the major differences?

I would ask this on the con call tomorrow, if there is one, but
unfortunately I will be on a plane during the meeting.

Thanks in advance.

-Rich

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org