SBC-2 Non-volatile Cache log page

Banther, Michael michael.banther at hp.com
Wed Jun 2 01:15:42 PDT 2004

* "Banther, Michael" <michael.banther at hp.com>
*
I agree, Ralph.  I think that the primary reason to specifically
prohibit the sharing of a log page code depends on how likely one or the
other of the log pages might be adopted by other device types.  In cases
where cross device type adoption is likely, we shouldn't attempt to
share codes.  For device-specific log pages, sharing a code isn't a
problem.

In this particular case, I believe that non-volatile cache support is a
general enough concept that we should give it its own unique page code.
Any device type that caches data can experience temporary loss of power.
Hence the use of non-volatile cache appears widely applicable.  I would
not want to see streaming (or any other) devices discouraged from
adopting it simply because of a page code clash.

The DTD Status log page (code 11h) has already been adopted by streaming
devices (04-119r0).  In the future, I intend to argue that the ADC
TapeAlert Response (code 12h) and ADC Device Statistics (code 14h) log
pages should be adopted by SSC-3 as well.

I hope that these points are enough to convince you to move the
Non-Volatile Cache log page to an unused page code.

Best Regards,

Michael Banther
Hewlett-Packard Company
Telephone +44 (117) 312 9503