SBC-2 mandatory vs optional commands

Gerry.Houlder at seagate.com Gerry.Houlder at seagate.com
Tue Jul 20 07:01:46 PDT 2004

* Gerry.Houlder at seagate.com
*

Leave the 32 byte commands as strictly optional.  32 byte CDB support is
still very rare, as is support for XOR commands.

Also, I thought we had a plan to obsolete the Pre-Fetch commands. I
wouldn't like to see anything other than strictly optional on these if we
don't obsolete them.

                      "Elliott, Robert
                      (Server Storage)"        To:       <t10 at t10.org>
                      <elliott at hp.com>         cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  SBC-2 mandatory vs optional commands
                      owner-t10 at t10.org
                      No Phone Info
                      Available

                      07/19/2004 03:56
                      PM

* "Elliott, Robert (Server Storage)" <elliott at hp.com>
*
Per the CAP WG discussion of 04-171, I plan to submit a letter ballot
comment on SBC-2 making these changes:

a) change READ (6) and READ (10) from mandatory to optional in
table 12 and in note 9

b) change READ CAPACITY (10) from mandatory to optional in table 12

c) mark each of these commands as mandatory if any of their smaller
counterparts are implemented (the same rule that currently
exists for WRITE (16)):
    LOCK UNLOCK CACHE (16)
    PRE-FETCH (16)
    READ DEFECT DATA (12)